I suggest you ...

Handling Inactivity

I always find it a shame when people go inactive in the game, I try to vet people before the game starts but it's not always possible. It's also my opinion that silent players don't make for very interesting games.

I'm considering changing the "inactivity check" for 24 hour games.

1) Remove the activity log at the start of the day (but keeping it in, behind the scenes)
2) Changing the classification of an active player to include at least one message sent
3) Automatically smiting players that are flagged as inactive for 2 consecutive days and revealing their roles.

I'd love to hear some feedback on these ideas.

12 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    AdminMark (Owner, Werewolves) shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

12 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Joe commented  · 

Werewolf Online X has a peer-review system. I know something like that has the potential for abuse to give bad reviews to people you didn't like, or people who tricked you in the game, but I would think on the whole it would work.

Then you could limit people with highly negative feedback to some less interesting games with just the basic roles, from which they'd have to improve their rating to get back into interesting games (or just quit).

• Daniel Smith (StormPooperSmith) commented  · 

Thinking it through, the problem with reassigning the role is it messes up things like Bloodhound checks ("they were just a villager, let's keep looking for the Seer" and never revisit them), plus if you become the Seer night 7 and you come out with it, you have no information to back up the claim and will probably be lynched by the village.

If we were to do the reassign, it would have to also inform the player of any checks the original made, and anyone who checked that player previously might have to be informed, or the game tells the village that someone was reassigned, so anyone who was confirmed as a villager can be re-checked if they want to.

• enna commented  · 

Reassigning to a plain villager sounds great, maybe if the role hadn't used their skill night 1 their role is swapped with a plain? And then if they're inactive the usual 2 days, the SMITING

• Ve Meth commented  · 

I like the idea of reassigning roles of inactive players. I think the biggest problem is day 2, if someone died that night it's no a good idea for the village to go without lynch. But I think the first few rounds is where most roles get lynched. So I'm not sure how much it would help if town lynches a role for not being active.

Yes you could argue "don't lynch inactives day 2" but this would probably lead to fewer ppl. speaking up or even dis-encourage ppl. from speaking up at all after the first night. I find it bad for the game if the logic is "hey you spoke up so we put you on trail since you can defend yourself"

• enxyo commented  · 

Couple ideas

Start the day with everybodys vote cast on themselves. After voting once they can't vote for themselves anymore.

Add a last active timestamp. Active not like they typed something, active like they had a session open with the server.

The following may be a extreme option!

Going further in that direction, add the possibility to see who is online, by using browser acitivity. So no lurking around anymore. This would give the ability to see, when someone decides not to say anything.

Fair point, but on the flip-side if the log is removed the village can vote to lynch someone who was about to be smited, which means they have pretty much wasted a day, so I think it swings both ways. You could also use the activity log to your advantage as a wolf - "Well I wasn't active that day and we've got two wolves already, so I can't be the wolf!" and so on (a more unlikely scenario, but possible if you manage to trick the village).

• Gad commented  · 

I disagree with Daniel. The "activity log" is very unfair to the werewolfs. It can lead to situations where a werewolf is lynched just because he was active on a day that only one or two people were as well.

• Anonymous commented  · 

Maybe if a wolf isn't active (i.e. doesn't vote) for a set number of nights, they should die of starvation? 8-)

• Anonymous commented  · 

this isn't for inactivity, but could the people who made this please have blitz rounds at different times of day because where I live means that I can't play blitz.

1) The log is sometimes used to whittle down the list of potential people that could be wolves ("Well he wasn't active yesterday, so it couldn't be him", etc). Might be worth keeping for that reason.

2) By message, does that also include actions such as voting, etc? Also, it might be worth sending a message to the player warning them if they are a day away from being smited and what they need to do to stop it.

3) An alternative would be to reassign any villager special roles to another villager that currently has no role and any wolf special roles to another normal wolf, assuming there are any left - if not, then announce the role.

• Khang commented  · 

i think all sound great and should be put into action, although 2) i prefer mandatory voting to optional voting. It makes people participate more i guess.

• TheSilentOne commented  · 

Changes sounds good. Automatically smiting wolves are too big of a disadvantage for them tho. May be they should get automatically lynched instead, but village is still free to discuss what should they do next.

Feedback and Knowledge Base